Miami - getting there

All I was concerned about for days before the trip was not making it to Miami on Thursday night. I get very limited time off work, so my flight schedule was very limited. I was leaving Lexington at 8pm, making a tight connection in Charlotte, and landing in Fort Lauderdale at midnight. So I stalked my flights all day. And everything looked great. On time, if not early. I finally calmed down right as I got to the airport and started to get very excited. But then I got on the plane. We backed out of the gate. And the pilot announced a delay. A 35-40 minute delay. And I had 45 minutes to make it across the Charlotte airport. The stewardess let me know, without mincing words, that making my connection was “possible, but not probable.” We ended up sitting on the runway about 20 minutes. The pilot stated that he got clearance to make a few changes and we should be about 20 minutes late instead of 30+.

As we sat there, in stillness, all I could think about was how many crazy things fell into place to get me to this training. It wouldn’t have been possible if I didn’t have a friend in Miami. Erin and Levi had just moved there. I had received unexpected financial gifts from LexEnomics and Thrive Consulting. God meant for me to go to this training. All that kept running through my head was the chorus of “God Will Take Care of You.” As soon as we were in the air, I knew without a doubt that I was making that flight. But I knew that it wouldn’t be easy.

I am a runner, darn it. I was going to be a running coach. If anyone could make a connection, it would be me. So, all within the small confines of my window seat, I dug my running shoes out of my carry-on that was stuffed under the seat in front of me (with much less intrusion on my neighbor’s personal space than I thought possible). The flight attendant prioritized people getting off the plane. We landed. And I ran.

I wish I had been wearing my Garmin as I ran through the airport. It was like the airport scene in Home Alone. I was flat-out running. At a few times, I was flat-out running on the moving sidewalk. I felt like I was flying. I made it to the gate just as they were starting to board my section.

I got on that plane. I took a deep breath. And it changed everything that was going on in my head. My worry? My nerves? My “what if I’m not supposed to do this?” Gone. I was supposed to be there. I was ready for this. I was ready for everything that this training will set in motion. And I knew that Erin would be waiting for me on the other end of the flight.

I was ready. And I was taken care of.